AIDS stands for "Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome"- is seen end of the Disease spectrum caused by Human Immunodeficiency Virus(HIV).
In beginning a person with HIV can look and feel perfectly healthy.
- By unprotected sexual intercourse(without a condom) with someone who has HIV.
- By transfusion of infected blood or blood products.
- By use of infected needles and instruments without sterilization.
- From HIV infected mother to infant, during pregnancy.
AIDS cannot be contracted by:
- Touching, hugging, or shaking hands.
- Sharing toilet or bathroom or Swimming Pools.
- Sharing cups, cutlery, crockery, towels etc.
- Eating Food prepared by someone with HIV
- Mosquito, Bed bugs, Insect or Animal bites
- Playing together, travelling together, working together or eating together
- Through embracing, cuddling, kissing.
- Through patient caring.
The infection can only be detected by HIV antibody test in a qualified lab.
The symptoms develop after few years and they are long lasting and includes:
- Unexplained fever, chills or night sweats.
- Unexplained and intermittent diarrhea.
- Persistent Unexplained fatigue and weight loss of more than 5kg.
- Persistent Cough and shortness of breath.
- White blotches in the mouth.
At present there is no cure and no vaccine. However few newer drugs slow down the virus, postponed the complication and prolongs life.
Safe sex with condoms, Safe Blood, Safe Injection, Safe Pregnancy
Yes.Scientific evidence demonstrates latex condoms are highly effective in preventing the transmission of HIV
HIV/AIDS Protect Yourself, Your Family and Your Community